HOTEL VILLA MANDI GOLF RESORT
SUSTAINABILITY REPORT OF THE HOTEL VILLA MANDI GOLF RESORT
Hotel Villa Mandi is a company that since its creation has tried to collaborate as much as possible in the sustainability of the environment in which we find ourselves. The property, the management and all the human team that we integrate, we work every day to get the company to achieve its economic objectives within a framework of respect at all levels of the environment. Over the years we have contributed our bit to the extent possible and we have achieved goals such as reducing electricity consumption by installing new high performance machines, LED bulbs, etc. Every year we try to propose improvements in all fields; so that our existence here adds and does not diminish, in relation to the environment, the community, human rights, child protection, etc.
The Hotel Villa Mandi is a hotel with 108 accommodation units distributed over 3 floors and seven buildings; it consists of a main building where the reception, the restaurant, the bar and the disco are located. It also has two playgrounds, 4 swimming pools, a pool bar, a mini club, a gym and a football field. Our apartments are spacious and have a kitchen for the comfort of the type of clients we receive; mainly families with small children. Our clients visit us from different parts of the world, but the main nationalities are British, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Polish, French and Dutch. In order to offer the best service to our customers we have a human team formed by around 45 people who work daily to provide the best service and transmit our philosophy to customers, suppliers and collaborators.
Our sustainability program that covers both the care of the environment, the support to the community, respect for human rights and the offer of a respectful quality service with all these fields is led in our company by the director Ana Bello who works in a very close way day by day with the whole team to be able to reach the maximum objectives.
We do not travel this road alone, we are accompanied by people whom we ask to be involved as we in this concept; fortunately, people are increasingly understanding the importance of making our environment sustainable. Our main suppliers are suppliers of raw materials such as: 7 Islands, Dorada, 7 Seas, Emicela, Agua de Vilaflor, Canary Smoked, Freiremar, Ingapan, Surpan etc. .; as well as service providers such as Aveman, Compla, Tenerife Electricity, Schindler, etc. In relation to tour operators we work with GRUPO TUI, which fully shares with us the importance of our business being sustainable and tries to transmit that concept to us its clients rewarding hotels that have environmental certification
During this year 2019; which has just finished, we set out how each year some goals in different fields to contribute our grain of sand. The objectives have been:
1.- In the issue of energy consumption we have set out to minimize its consumption by taking advantage of our inverter heat pumps, the use of exclusively LED luminaires and the installation of timers and presence detectors in certain areas. We maintain this objective because we firmly believe that it is essential and that we must try to influence it. In fact we have managed to reduce the consumption of kW / day / pax in relation to the year 2018 so we will continue working to continue trying to reduce it.
- On the issue of water consumption we keep a daily check of the liters consumed to avoid any possible leakage not detected. On the other hand, we inform our clients in each apartment how important it is to reduce water consumption and not put their towels to wash if they do not need it. We also train the staff so that they do not leave the taps open more than is merely necessary and the technical service department to follow in detail the stipulated process for the pool washes, and thus avoid unnecessary use of water. In addition to taking daily measurements, we weekly dump these data by comparing them with the number of lodged pax indicated by any diversion and allowing us to detect any improper use or leakage of water. We have also set out to install new faucets in the apartments that further reduce the inappropriate use of this good. This year we have also managed to reduce consumption, mainly due to staff awareness.
- On the issue of waste generation we are a very aware company and we understand the need to minimize them. We recycle office supplies (paper, envelopes, folders, filing cabinets, etc.), we work with suppliers that reuse many of them their containers (bottles of chemical products, plastic boxes for bread or fruit, etc.) On the other hand this year we have installed water filters to offer our new customers all-inclusive running water for consumption and thus avoid the excessive amount of bottles of plastic that would have been generated. In addition, we have begun to implement the use of polyurethane glasses that allows us to gradually eliminate any trace of the plastic, as well as the canes of biodegradable material, the soap dispensers in the bathrooms of the apartments and the dispensers in the restaurant, gradually eliminating little all mono doses
With regard to respect for human rights we have continued with our usual guidelines to respect all of them within a framework of mutual respect. We believe in equality in all fields; Of the 82 people who have signed a contract with us that this year 2019 we have made a contract with 46 women and 36 men; This is how we give our integration contribution by hiring disabled people having made 4 such contracts.
On the issue of supporting the growth of the community in which we are immersed whenever possible and complying with the professional profile we seek, we try to hire local staff and in turn work with local suppliers. This past year we have hired 48 nationals and 34 foreigners. Our suppliers are also primarily local; in this last year we have worked with 48 local and 8 national suppliers. Likewise, this year, we have worked with the Red Cross and the Arona City Council to support cancer patients so that the fight against this disease is less difficult for them.
- Another field that worries us a lot is that of care and respect for the minor, we always monitor that there are no inappropriate attitudes on the part of clients, employees or suppliers. Our staff follows a pattern of behavior; how the vocabulary used, the gestures or the non-physical contact inappropriate for the treatment of a minor. This year, once again we have achieved a very high score in the questionnaires carried out by the tour operator on the treatment of children who are a segment of our population that deserves special and very careful treatment.
- The company understands that the care of our environment is essential for sustainable growth, which is why we communicate our employees in the employee manual and our customers in the customer information book that they must respect our customs that are part of our cultural heritage and also respect the fauna and flora of the area. We do not accept shows with animals or recommend any.
- In the labor field, our company is a transparent company that respects all local, national and international regulations and that tries to make its human team is integrated and comfortable in our company since they are one of the most important values for our company to grow. All our contracts fully comply with the regulations and our employees enjoy all the labor rights that our agreement reflects. In addition, we always try to support at a personal level the needs that may arise to any member of our team.
In general this year 2019 we have continued working in the same line as other years and we have achieved our objectives of reduction of energy and water consumption as well as the reduction of plastic containers. Obviously the change to all-inclusive causes the volume of services to skyrocket and the number of hours the client spends in the complex as well; which is why if we compare our consumption with years prior to 2017, they are much higher but we are proud that this year 2019 we have achieved small achievements that motivate us to continue working hard to try to make our footprint on the planet add and not subtract. For the next 2020 we have proposed that the plastic disappear from our facilities as well as continue reducing the use of chemical products and electrical energy. On the other hand we are considering the possibility of replacing propane with biomethane; to achieve two very important objectives, the reduction of CO2 emissions and the reuse of organic waste.
Our company will continue to fight every year so that our coexistence brings something and never hurts. We firmly believe that economic growth cannot and should not be at odds with sustainable growth, which in the long term what we will achieve is that we all grow together. That is why every year we work on this same philosophy and ask our customers, suppliers and collaborators to support us in this way since more and more those who do not follow this philosophy will stop working with our company
“”The climate emergency is a race we are losing, but it is a race we can win. The climate crisis is caused by us and the solutions must come from us. We have the tools: technology is on our side.”
ANTONIO GUTERRES- ONU SECRETARY GENERAL